Thursday, 5 February 2015

The Great Hair Wash Debate

(Image: Pinterest HERE)

"Did you know Lucy only conditions her hair three times a week!"
"Really!? Ew!"

You can just hear it, can't you. Judgmental teenagers all over saying these exact words. I know whilst at secondary school I felt so much pressure to wash my hair excessive amounts but it's only recently that I've started to actually look into if it's good to or not. 

Shampooing ever day
Both dermatologists and stylists agree that there's little reason to shampoo every day. I understand that people often get freaked out thinking that anything less with leave them with smelly, dirty hair, but shampooing three times a week is apparently plenty. Although shampooing everyday is not good for anyone, that's not to say there' a set amount of washes that's perfect for everyone.

Factors that play a part
If you live in London or New York chances are you're hair is going to get greasier slightly quicker than I will down in rural Somerset. Other factors are things such as the scalp and hair type plus how many/what products you use on the hair. So essentially, what I'm trying to say is this is something that varies from person to person. There is no set 'good' number of hair washes to do a week.

As hair stylists all round the world will agree, hair is a fibre. Think of a wool fibre - the more you wash it the worse it's going to look. One thing I found really interesting when doing some research for this blog post is that the longer, curler and thicker you hair is, the longer it can go between washes. My hair ticks all three of those boxes so again this suggests that there is definitely no need for me to be washing my hair daily. Apparently this is due to the fact that oils from the scalp do not travel down the hair shaft as quickly as they would if he hair was fine/straight/short meaning that the hair tends to be dry and requires less frequent shampooing. (Info from Heather Wooler-Llyod, MD, director of skincare and hair care at the university of Miami) That being said, even most short, thin hair can skip a day too. Zoe Draelos MD writes that daily shampooing is only necessary if oil production in the scalp is high or if you want to have the fragrance. If you are washing your hair because of the latter I strongly suggest that you use a lightweight shampoo (also know as 'everyday shampoos') as they contain less detergents than others. Boots have quite a few good ones in store.

Summary
Because of this I guess I'm writing this blog post to try and urge you to have a little experiment with your amount of weekly washes. I'm obviously not preaching to try and get you to only wash your hair monthly because that is, quite frankly, not nice. All I'm suggesting is that we need to stop being so scared of the amount of times a week we wash our hair and try out different time periods in order to see if we're over-washing or not and find what works best for us.

How many times a week do you wash your hair?

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you wrote this, teenagers can be so judgemental I did mine everyday until it was dried and wrecked. I now do mine about 3-4 times a week and even that seems too much xxx


    Blonde Of Carbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know exactly what you mean, a couple of the girls I work with can never believe that I only wash my hair twice a week. I never used to be able to do as I used to get greasy hair quickly but now I’ve stopped washing as often I find it doesn’t get greasy as easily :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my blog for more information: http://onemoregirlonline.blogspot.ca/2015/02/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wash mine way way too much, I'll have to have a play around with it I think!

    Sammy xo.

    littlefickleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete