Saturday, 18 October 2014

Lucy's Life: Decisions

(GIF - Tumblr)

Hello, hello, hello.

Long time now blog, hey?
I feel like every couple of weeks I put a post live saying that life has been 'crazy' but it really has been of late. You may know that I made the transition from secondary school to college in September and to be quite frank, this was terrifying! Anyone who knows me is well aware of how much I adored school and this made the jump more of a leap.

I started in September at a college in my local town. Although I had my heart set on attending the one further away from the get go, I eventually decided to go with the 'easier' option for reasons such as: the majority of my close circle of friends were going there including my boyfriend, I could walk too and from college and it is supposedly one of the best colleges in the country.

Anyway, I knew from the minute I started there that I hated it. I couldn't (and still can't) exactly put my finger on why it didn't sit right with me but it just didn't. On top of that I had problem after problem with one particular teaching and when I approached the college and gave them the opportunity to deal with it they were unresponsive and to be honest, rude. It got to the stage where I really wasn't enjoying college, so all the bonuses such as my friends attending etc were redundant as any time I did spend with them I was usually upset or frustrated about my situation.

I never really thought moving was an option, as it has been instilled in me from a young age to persevere and see things through, so I felt like I had to give the college I was attending a fair shot. One night though, I came home and cried for a good few hours and mum decided enough was enough, we were going to go down to the other college.

When we first got there and explained my predicament they said that they had stopped excepting transferring students the week before and that it was already 6 weeks into the course and that I'd never catch up. Mum was her usual fab self and really fought for me and managed to get me a chance. The head of A levels agreed that if I could get together my GCSE grades, references from school and a summary of the content I had already covered at college on the courses I was doing there and email it to him that night, he would take a look and consider it. He got back to me and offered me a place, admitting that it was going to be tough but everyone at college was happy to give me a chance!

So that was that. On Monday I attended my first day at the new college, 7 weeks behind everyone else and this was a pretty terrifying prospect. Although, I can now say one week in...I am SO pleased I made this decision. I know it's only been a week but I can already tell that I am going to be so much happier here. Within day one I already agreed to leading the Christian Union, became an ambassador and got put on the college's 'honours' academy which is designed to help high achieving students progress into top universities. I have made new friends, have an amazing set of teachers and so many opportunities that I didn't have before.

I guess the reason I'm typing this post is to say to you, don't be afraid to do something bold. A lot of people thought I was doing the wrong thing and that I was making a mistake, a lot of people thought I wouldn't be able to catch up with the work and my brain was going into complete overdrive as my eyes turned into floodgates. Yes, deciding to do this was petrifying and a huge risk, but it's one that's paid off.

In a nut shell, don't be afraid to make bold decisions, that are often difficult and disruptive. After all, life's boring if you never take a risk.

Lucy

4 comments:

  1. Well done for being brave and moving! I stayed at my school for sixth form, cos it had it attached and it was the worst decision of my life. Well i don't know, if everything in life is a chain of events and I had to go through that crap to get where I am now then OK, but I wouldn't do it again and wonder what it would have been like if I had moved! xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amber, long time no speak! Thank you so much - at least it got you where you are now. Lots of love xo

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you were brave and made the right choice hun! I did the same with University and you have to do whats right for you no one else xx

    ReplyDelete